THE GOLDEN STAGE RALLY: A NEW CONCEPT TO BRING RALLYING CLOSER TO THE PUBLIC
* New breathtaking one-stage rally concept
* Minimum 150,000 Euros in prize money
* Extensive live TV coverage
* First edition to be held in November 2010 in Cyprus
Eurosport Events and the Cyprus Automobile Association (CAA) have today announced the creation of an innovative standalone rallying event, the Golden Stage Rally, the first edition of which will be run in Cyprus on 7 November, 2010.
The Golden Stage Rally will showcase rallying in a new and exciting way, by making it accessible, understandable and attractive for a wider audience. The compact, fan and television-friendly format will maximise the dramatic impact of the event. It will offer a thrilling spectacle with a complete new experience of the event from every possible angle for spectators and TV viewers.
* The event will be open to all teams and drivers competing with Super 2000, Group N and Group A (up to A7) cars, in both 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive categories.
* It will offer a substantial minimum 150,000-Euro prize, split between the S2000, Group N and two-wheel drive categories.
* The Golden Stage Rally will feature one single stage on mixed surface measuring approximately 25-30 kilometers in length, the Golden Stage, run twice.
* The event will benefit from an extensive live production managed by Eurosport Events, which successfully pioneered live coverage from the stages of several IRC rounds. Eurosport Events is responsible for the distribution of the worldwide media rights (including TV rights) and will make footage of the Golden Stage Rally available to broadcasters.
* The Golden Stage Rally will be broadcast in its entirety through Eurosport’s network, reaching more than 117 million homes across 59 countries and through Eurosport Asia-Pacific.
Thanks to the strong collaboration and support of the CAA, the first edition of the Golden Stage Rally will take place on Sunday 7 November, 2010, following the conclusion of the FxPro Cyprus Rally, the 12th and final round of this year’s IRC season.
Marcello Lotti, General Manager of the IRC commented:
"With this brand new concept, we want to create a new showcase for our entire sport and an opportunity for the professional and amateur drivers from many series to gather together and take a shot at glory and the prize purse. It will be open to all teams and drivers and the action promises to provide a great show in Cyprus, host venue of the final round of the IRC season and renowned as one of the world’s most challenging rally destinations".
President of the CAA Antonis Michaelides said:
"The Cyprus Rally has always been about breaking new ground to ensure that world rallying is as exciting and as entertaining as possible and with the addition of this innovative new event, we are confident that this year’s Cyprus Rally will be the most memorable yet. After the challenge of the Rally itself, to complete the weekend with this one-off ’shoot-out‘ between the world’s best will make it an unforgettable experience for fans and drivers alike."
Chairman of the Cyprus Tourism Organisation Alecos Orountiotis welcomed this new initiative:
"Cyprus has built an enviable reputation for hosting world-class sporting events and we are especially proud to be hosting this exciting new event. Our island boasts many strengths, including its outstanding climate, its beautiful scenery, and its extensive range of facilities, and we are sure that the many fans of motorsport who will watch this event will also become fans of our beautiful island."
Organised under the auspices of the CAA, regulations and full details of the stage layout of the Golden Stage Rally will be published soon, giving teams plenty of time to prepare themselves for what is sure to be a new highlight of the international rally season.